Well, wouldn’t you know?! (Hint: You probably already knew…or at least suspected!)
In December 2015, Barack Obama told Yahoo News that “only a handful” of Gitmo detainees had returned to a life of terrorism. However, it appears the actual number is 196, but you know…who’s counting???
Thankfully, Stephen Hayes at The Weekly Standard was there to count, and he dissected Obama’s stunningly false remarks almost immediately:
“It doesn’t match up at all. I think what we saw from the president there was sort of aggressive, breath-taking dishonesty. The president may not know how many Guantanamo detainees have been released but we do. 653. Of which, 196 are either confirmed or suspected recidivists. That is not a handful. That is about 40 handfuls. That’s far more than the president is suggesting. Beyond that the president said the United States has released only low-level individuals. Again, unequivocally false.”
And according to Obama’s own Director of National Intelligence, 117 of these 196 former detainees are now confirmed of returning to terror. The other 79 detainees, well, they are at least suspected of returning to the fight.
And now, there’s this:
Gitmo terrorist Sabir Mahfouz Lahmar, who was released by Barack Obama, was just arrested for recruiting for ISIS.
According to The Daily Mail:
“A former Guantanamo Bay inmate is among six people from an alleged ISIS recruiting network who were detained on Tuesday.
Sabir Mahfouz Lahmar was one of the six suspects arrested in Bordeaux as part of the crackdown, a French judicial source said.
Lahmar was freed from the US detention center in Cuba in 2009 after France agreed to accept him, the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, revealed.
The 48-year-old was one of six Algerians detained in Bosnia in 2001 on suspicion of plotting to bomb the US embassy in Sarajevo.”
Below is a brief list of Gitmo detainees who have returned to terror:
- Gitmo Detainees Re-Arrested in Russia
- Former Gitmo Prisoner Arrested for Terrorism in Moscow
- Three Former Gitmo Detainees Held in Morocco
- Former Gitmo Inmate Involved in Russian Terror Attack on Nalchik
- Former Gitmo Detainee Re-Arrested in Pakistan
- Seven Percent of Gitmo Detainees Return to Battlefield.
- Former Club Gitmo Detainee Carries Out Suicide Mission in Iraq
- Pentagon: 61 Gitmo Grads Returned to Terror
- Former “Rehabilitated” Gitmo Detainee Becomes Al-Qaeda Chief
- 2 Former “Rehabilitated” Gitmo Grads Appear in Al-Qaeda Movie
- 11 Former “Rehabilitated” Gitmo Grads Back On Saudi Most Wanted List
- American Teenager Murdered By Former Gitmo Detainee
- Breaking: Taliban’s Top Officer in Southern Afghanistan Is Former Gitmo Detainee
- Former Gitmo Detainee Leads Fight Against US Troops
- Another Former “Rehabilitated” Gitmo Detainee Killed in Shootout
- Former Gitmo Detainee Now Al Qaeda “Spiritual Leader”
- Former Gitmo Detainees Lead Yemeni Al-Qaeda Group Linked to Detroit Bomber
- Former Gitmo Detainee Leads Insurgency in Southern Afghanistan
- Thanks Barack… Another Gitmo Detainee Returns to the Fold
- 25 Former Gitmo Detainees From Saudi Arabia Return to Life of Terror
- ONE WEEK AFTER PARIS TERROR ATTACKS – Obama Releases Five More Gitmo Detainees
- Former Gitmo Terrorist Arrested in Uganda; Suspect in Prosecutor’s Shooting Death
- Two more Gitmo detainees arrested in terror raid in Belgium
- Former Gitmo Detainee Now an Al-Qaeda Leader in Yemen
- ANOTHER Former Gitmo Detainee and Current ISIS Recruiter Arrested in Libya
- ISIS Suicide Bomber Is Former Gitmo Detainee – Awarded £1 Million After Release from Guantanamo
- Trump Was Right – Another Gitmo Prisoner Returns to Life of Terrorism